A statement from the recent episode of Idol Room has put IZ*ONE‘s Kang Hyewon under fire after Korean netizens accused her of promoting a right wing agenda.
The members started their full set of debut promotions on the program and were given the chance to uniquely introduce themselves. However, instead of promoting their debut album, Kang Hyewon promoted one of her favorite anime series.
— 𝙺𝚒𝚖 ミ☆ (@yulyenstwt) October 30, 2018
The comment did not sit right with Korean netizens as they immediately accused her of promoting a right wing agenda. The original author of the animated series was previously accused of being right wing by Korean fans with some characters and plot that were compared to Japan’s actual colonization of Korea in the past.
These were statements written off as one with no factual claims but it was enough to trigger a controversy.
- “Is she really Korean… Promoting a right wing anime in a right wing groupㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ”
- “It’s more controversial because she’s promoting a right wing anime while debuting in a right wing groupㅋㅋㅋㅋ”
- “How could that hold no meaning? It might have been her talking without thinking, just wanting to be funny for no reason… but a stupid does well what a stupid is… This team is so problematic…”
- “I can’t say for sure that it’s right wing but she didn’t think this through wellㅋㅋㅋ”
- “The author is right wing so it’s not too far fetch to say the anime itself has right wing views”
Fans, on the other hand, thought it was simply an innocent statement from the member herself, who simply loved her anime series. Some even poke fun as to how she managed to promote a series than her debut album itself!
@official_izone hyewon don’t worry about what people are saying . If you like AoT it’s a great anime .
Izone fighting 💜💜💜
— Yaquelyn Rodriguez (@yaquelynx3) October 31, 2018
Kang Hyewon promoting attack on titan season 3 on idol room is the funniest thing ever
— Nako's maid (@myukirins) October 30, 2018
Just found out that now k-netz are bashing Hyewon for promoting Attack on Titans in Idol Room saying it has a political agenda….The kid just loves anime🙃 what next? Bash her for being excited over chicken. Go find a job or take a walk😂
— 제렐 LaVieEnRose (@gerelleyyy) October 31, 2018
Manager: promote your song every time you introduce yourself
Hyewon: please watch attack on Titan season 3 juseyo https://t.co/cwaHgNe4DT
— SiyeonsMom (@ddiddirere) October 30, 2018
IZ*ONE are not new to right wing controversies perpetrated by netizens. After their debut, a Blue House petition was filed against them after member Miyawaki Sakura was allegedly involved in a number of controversies.
At present, the group continues with their full-scale activities for their debut album, COLOR*IZ.