Being the two lead cast of SBS Running Man, Yoo Jae Suk is considered ‘Yoo-God’ or ‘Top National MC’ in Korea, however, Kim Jong Kook has garnered much more popularity as ‘The Commander’ in China. JTBC‘s Ssulzun examines why Kim Jong Kook is more popular than Yoo Jae Suk in China.
During the broadcast of Ssulzun on June 5th (KST), it discussed about the rising popularity of Korean variety shows in overseas. In particular, more variety show PDs have been recruited to work in the Chinese entertainment industry.
Guest star, Choi Dae Woong, commented, “There is really one reason behind recruiting Korean production teams.. it’s because of the advertisement fee.” In China, variety shows operate within the advertisement investors’ budget without any monetary support from the broadcasting stations. If Korean production teams are recruited, advertisement companies and agencies invest the double the amount.
Following, he selected Kim Jong Kook as the most popular variety icon in China. He explained, “Yoo Jae Suk is talkative, not so weak but not so strong, and not so tall as well. His character is pretty ambiguous. While, Kim Jong Kook established his character as someone who solves problems. Ji Suk Jin too. His big nose and eldest hyung character image is easy and clearly created. For Chinese, it is easier to understand Kim Jong Kook over Yoo Jae Suk. Also, one reason why ‘Running Man’ is so popular is because of the hallyu stars guest appearances.”
In the meantime, check out what netizens think about the article:
1. [+6566,-260] For real… Running Man members’ lives have changed by lining up with Yoo Jae Suk.. Must be really thankful..
2. [+5161,-128] Asian prince Kwang Soo’s popularity is crazy tooㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
3. [+1702,-55] Spartan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. [+305,-16] So it’s basically easier to understand Kim Jong Kook because he uses gestures more than words
5. [+352,-80] Yoo Jae Suk’s ours… Don’t take away his freedom just because he is now more known overseas